Call for Nominations:
President-Elect ● Secretary-Treasurer ● Newsletter (Anthropology News) Editor ● E-Journal Editor ● Graduate Representative-At-Large ● Undergraduate Representative-At-Large ● Communications Officer ● List-Serv Editor
The National Association of Student Anthropologists (NASA) is seeking students who are interested in being nominated as candidates for positions that will be open in 2020. We welcome nominations from both undergraduate and graduate students who have an interest in anthropology. While elected positions must be filled by NASA members in good standing, if you are not currently a NASA member we would like to encourage you to join and submit a nomination! Please visit the NASA website, http://www.nasa.americananthro.org/, for information on membership and to complete the brief online application.
NASA’s purpose is to “stimulate and encourage the interests and involvement of both graduate and undergraduate students in anthropology.” Working with NASA is a great way to gain leadership experience, and is an excellent opportunity to network with other students, professors, and professionals in anthropology and related disciplines. Nominees are encouraged to bring and develop their own ideas for how NASA can better serve the interests of its student membership.
The NASA Nominations Committee will form a slate of candidates from the nominees for each position. NASA members will then vote for the candidates in the spring. In accordance with NASA bylaws, nominees, if elected, will serve two-year terms, which will commence at the conclusion of the annual meeting in November of 2020 and will end at the conclusion of the annual meeting in November of 2022. The following summaries describe the duties of the open positions:
Officer Positions and Executive Committee Seats
- PRESIDENT-ELECT: Serves a one-year term as President-Elect, followed by another year as President; is responsible for internal communications within NASA; coordinates activities of committees and facilitates NASA’s transition into the following year.
- SECRETARY-TREASURER: Is responsible for the submission and maintenance of NASA’s annual budget as well as the timely dispersal of meeting minutes and other pertinent communications; ensures both timely communication amongst NASA members and a lasting record of NASA activities for future members of the Association.
- NEWSLETTER (ANTHROPOLOGY NEWS) EDITOR: Is responsible for NASA’s presence in Anthropology News; will solicit contributions for the student column in addition to using the column for NASA information dispersal and may from time to time be involved in additional NASA information dispersal activities.
- NASA E-JOURNAL EDITOR: Is responsible for editing and producing NASA’s web-based journal; will solicit articles and work with the E-Journal’s committee and the AAA Publications representatives to create and disseminate the journal.
- GRADUATE REPRESENTATIVE-AT-LARGE: Actively represents all interests of graduate NASA members; solicits new members; attends to student questions and creates student networks throughout the year; effectively disseminates scholarship and professional opportunities and traditionally chairs a NASA Committee.
- UNDERGRADUATE REPRESENTATIVE-AT-LARGE: Actively represents all interests of undergraduate NASA members; solicits new members; attends to student questions and creates student networks throughout the year; effectively disseminates scholarship and professional opportunities and traditionally chairs a NASA Committee.
- COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER: Is responsible for the maintenance of NASA’s website; ensures timely external communication to current and potential NASA members and other interested publics via social media; seeks information for the historical record and maintains NASA’s records. (Officer should have basic knowledge of WordPress and/or HTML, or be willing to learn it.)
- LIST-SERV EDITOR: Follows announcements/opportunities from a range of AAA list-servs on a daily basis and forwards those announcements/opportunities relevant to anthropology students to the NASA list-serv members in a timely manner; updates NASA website calendar with upcoming deadlines for opportunities posted on the list; manages new list-serv members subscriptions and requests to unsubscribe.
DEADLINE FOR NOMINATIONS: Applications must be received by email no later than 11:59PM EST Thursday, February 13, 2020.
HOW TO APPLY: Nominations materials must include a Biographical Sketch and Platform Statement, and must be formatted in accordance with the following guidelines. Please submit your application by e-mail to the Chair of NASA’s Nominations Committee, Peter Lee, at email@example.com by Thursday, February 13, 2020 with “NASA Nomination” as the subject line. Please include the following four (4) items in the body of your e-mail application:
- Position you seek to be nominated for.
- Biographical Sketch exactly as follows; include bold headings (CVs will not be accepted):
- FULL NAME (highest degree earned, institution where degree was earned, year degree was earned) Positions held (most recent first): Title, (dates from-to) Name of Institution; Interests and/or Activities: (Limit 3); Significant publications (limit 3 – most recent first): Title, co-authors/editors if applicable, where published, year published.
I. WANNA WYN (PhD, University of Whereiwannabe, 1969) Positions held: Grand Inquisitor (1989-Pres) Search the World Over, Inc.; Leader of the Pack (1978-1989) Wearethebest University; Asst Leader of the Pack (1970-1978) Whimsy College; Interests and/or Activities: ritual, migration, presented paper at the Interdisciplinary Conference on Presenting Papers; Significant Publications: I Didn’t Really Know What I Was Talking About, but Now I Do (with Yule Shirley Wyn, PhD), The Perfect Press, Inc., In Press; “Trust Me, I know what I am talking about” (with Imrunin Aginstya, PhD) Journal of Ultimate Knowledge, 1988.
- Platform statement: The platform statement must be approximately 200 words in length. Statements significantly over 200 words will be cut down to 200 words before publishing.
- Digital Picture. If available, please provide a digital picture of yourself for the spring ballots.